DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Tue, 09 Jul 96 10:08:52 EST

 We are having a problem with the gold card edge connector
 contacts on our boards burring during board edge routing at fab.
 This is causing a great deal of hand sanding after the boards
 are assembled and removed from the panel.  Our contacts use an
 external plating strip using the entire contact width (.040).
 This was done for 2 reasons:  1) I do not have vias or holes at
 every contact (SMT),  2) I do not have any internal signal
 layers (2 ext/2 planes).  I realize I may have to go to a THT
 connector, but would prefer to avoid it.

 I pose the following questions:

 1) Does anyone do internal plating strips using the plane
 layers?  If so, could explain exactly how you are doing it.

 2) Does anyone use a smaller trace width from the contact to the
 external plating strip?  If so, what width and is it centered or
 offset to one side?  Has this caused any peeling or burring
 problems?

 3) Is your Fab house doing anything special to prevent burring?

 4) Has anyone tried scoring along the gold contacts?  If so, how
 did it work out?  Did the contacts burr or did it give an
 acceptable edge?

 5) Does anyone spec a chamfer along the contact edge of the PCB
 on a panelized design?  If so, how does it affect cost?  What
 chamfer was spec'd?

 I would like to hear anyone's experiences with gold contacts,
 either good or bad.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

 Thanks in advance!

 Brandon Luther
 Dataram Corp.
 Princeton, N.J.
 (609) 799-0071 x310

The mail list is provided by IPC using SmartList v3.05
To unsubscribe from this list at any time, send a message to:
[log in to unmask] with <subject: unsubscribe> and no text.