DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Patrick Jabbaz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:03:26 -0800
Tamir
I have had the opportunity of designing boards at that frequency.
There are several factors to take into account
1- are these High speed signals path long or short
if so you can use FR4 but keep in mind that you may get Signal loss if
your traces are to thin, but as your traces get wider, your board
thickness will increase as you meet the desired impedance.
I routing the High speed signals turns out not being that long, then a
thin trace would not be as bad.
I designed a back Plane using Hi temp FR4 18 layers running 3.5GHz
Differential signals 100 ohms Diff.
the trace width I used was 8 mils stack up was

Plane
10
signal
16
Plane

the overall Board thickness was at .240"
I used the TDR to measure the Impedance of the Signal traces and compare
my results with the report from the Fab shop
all signals were in the range of 97 -100 ohms diff as expected.
Then we tested and measure the Back Plane with Traffic running through
it.
The signal quality was very good overall, with very little loss.

2- Another thing into consideration is to take into account the Max
board thickness you will be using
if a smaller valued is desired, you may have to use a different
material, that would meet the desire impedance, If I was in your shoes,
I would consult the Fab house you currently use, they will probably have
several option for You.

Regards

InkraNetworks
Patrick Jabbaz