DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Tom Hausherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 13:26:27 -0700
Altium's script capability pales in comparison to open source PADS. I have
100's of scripts. But that does not matter if Altium can get the job done
without scripts.

My impression is that Altium could obtain the highest seat count than any
other CAD tool worldwide if the momentum stays on the same track. Altium is
already #1 in China, with more seat installations than any other CAD tool.
However, no one in China ever paid for their license (cracked!). But that's
another story.

Our new upcoming "Parts On Demand" website (POD Library Vending Machine)
will allow Altium users (and every other CAD tool user) to upload
non-standard library parts in native CAD tool format if they meet high
quality construction standards. I believe that Altium Users will be the
largest contributor and #1 customer to the POD project, but time will tell.

My passion is with the PCB design profession, not any specific CAD tool. My
goal is to automate the library creation process and eliminate duplication
in the PCB Library aspect regardless of CAD tool. So I'm CAD nuetral in that
respect.

BTW: My CAD tool path has been ComputerVision 1981 - 1983 (Magnetic Tape),
CALAY Systems 1984 - 1990 (8" Floppy Disks), PADS 1991 - 2012 (5" floppy, 3"
floppy, CD-ROM & DVD)

Tom