DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:13:52 -0700
Hawes, Adam wrote:

> I'm looking for a good text on EMC with an emphasis on PCB layout. I've
> frequently seen references for Mark Montrose's "Printed Circuit Board Design
> For EMC Compliance." which is about 3 or 4 years old.
>
> I believe he has recently written a new one "EMC And The PCB".
>
> Can anyone offer an opinion on which is the best and more relevant to a PCB
> layout Engineer?

Mark's new book is
"EMC and the Printed Cirucuit Board -
 Design, Theory, and Layout Made Simple"
ISBN: 0-7803-4703

But what you really want is the absolute bible
of EMI pcb people and Signal Intergrity people

"High Speed Digital Design -
 A Handbook of Black Magic"
Authors: Howard Johnson and Martin Graham
ISBN: 0-13-395724-1

In it Dr. Johnson and Dr. Graham gives not only
a model for how the mechanism works, but deduce
it mathematically, and runs comparisons between
the theoretical and measured results with a
real board.  It's a fantasitic book.

That's what you need when you go EMI pcb layout
book hunting - someone who can talk theory,
simple models, run a theoretical model, then
compare to a real setup with real measurements.
I would highly reccomend reading Dr. Johnson's
book first, then reading Mark's book.

Mark is a highly experienced professional,
but Dr. Johnson addresses some of the caveats
presented by Mark.  I dare say that with all
Mark's knowledge, if he tried to write a book
considering all the in's and out's of each
of the things he discusses, his book would
easily be ten times thicker.

Dr. Johnsom also gives some really tremendous
seminars throughout the year.

Another book I would highly reccomend is
"Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems"
Author: Henry Ott
ISBN: 0-471-65726-3

And yet more punishment if you wish to get down
into the nitty gritty of it all is

"Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility"
Author: Clayton Paul
ISBN: 0-471-54927-4

All the above is STRICTLY my own personal opinion.

Regards,  Doug McKean