DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:23:31 -0800
A standard, is just that... a way of doing things that everyone
participating agrees to... If everyone doesn't agree to it... it cannot be a
standard.

I believe Tom Hausherr of PCB Libraries and Dieter Bergman of the IPC
traveled to many different places in the US and Europe to talk with a number
of assembly shops and manufacturers while preparing the 7351 standard on
footprints, and JaMi Smith also 'called them on the carpet' in a similar
emotionally charged manner for component orientation issues... and he was
correct... and they corrected the spec and their libraries to the best of
their ability to account for that issue which frankly saved the IPC a great
deal of embarrassment and potentially re-printing specs because of it. I
believe the IPC was very thankful of JaMi's contribution to that particular
effort...

 Matthew, your points were clear and received at this end and I admire your
restraint, and also free expression of opinion. Please do not stop
expressing that opinion or get offended by others who can't seem to restrain
themselves. Your contribution to the learning process for everyone is
valuable and without different points of view we fail to see the entire
picture from all angles... it is important to hear your side of the equation
just as it is important to hear all designer's points of view when reviewing
any issue.

I must remark on JaMi Smith's 'tirade' for I cannot call it anything else.
In my opinion, it was out of proportion with the subject matter and content
and very rude of him... He should not have expressed his opinion to you in
that manner or in this forum. JaMi has been 'kicked off' forums before...
for similar reasons. I'm sure he can recall that too.

I might add that I have come to realize that this sort of e-mail like we saw
is part of Jami's personality... always has been, always will be. This is
not the first time I have observed his emotionally charged reaction and
expletive filled response to a subject that to most of us seems dry and
technical and lacking emotional content... JaMi has much experience and a
good memory for facts and a sharp mind... and a volatile reaction and not
much in the way of tact when it comes to expressing his point of view on
matters... He is more than likely to come out 'guns a blazing' and ask
questions later... that is the JaMi I have come to know.

Be that as it may... I also know we won't change that in him, and he
wouldn't be Jami without it. Those of us who have known JaMi for some time,
wince sharply at the delivery and try to focus on the content that he is
trying to get across because often times he has the story straight and it
'fires him up' that nobody else seems to get it.

JaMi, the world is not as evil, stupid or anywhere near as tough around the
edges as you may think... I think you need to tone it down a notch in this
forum amongst these professional designers and stick to the subject at hand
and avoid the personal insults if you wish to convince someone else to
closely examine your point of view in light of the evidence you are
presenting and evaluate it against their own in order to get a consensus and
agreement. Insulting them does not win them over... Their reception is
likely to be negative and not just the target of your blast of rude words
but the rest of the audience watching the abuse will be turned off to your
message and not open to reception of your argument. (Perhaps a feather
duster would be more appropriate rather than the trusty all-purpose 'hand
grenade'...)

I hope that Matthew does not form a negative opinion of the Designers
Council based upon JaMi's simulation of a 'bipolar' response... not all of
us have the same experiences or temperament and I believe we would like to
be judged on our own merits or short comings independent of the actions of
others.

A little more sensitivity or tact and helpful instruction and discussion
goes much farther than insults and name calling and shouting down at your
'enemies ideas'. Let's try a little harder to help each other... that is
what I believe the Designers Council is supposed to be all about. I would
count this one as an example of what NOT to do and leave it at that.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+
Tel: (760)597-1500 Fax: (760)597-1510