DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:05:56 +0200
Hi All,

I would be very interested in some answers about your
experiences with Cadence's OEM strategy and the relationship
to their OEM licensees.

Background is: The OEM contract for my host CAD system was cancelled
end of 1998 and too many questions were left open until now.

a) When received customers from CAD software with OEM Specctra inside
(under maintenance with the Host CAD vendor) the latest Specctra
update? Did you receive Version 8 in late 1998 or in 1999?

b) Which OEM contracts were cancelled in the last year? By
Cadence or by host CAD vendor?

c) How and when did the host CAD system vendor inform his customers?

d) Had Cadence contact to the Ex OEM customers?

e) How did the host CAD vendors and Cadence handle possibly
transitions:

- OEM Specctra to maintenance directly with Cadence

- further interface development

- Specctra options which were not standard by the
  host CAD system (like HYP, FST) and were sold separately

- worst case: Transition to another, similar auto/interactive router,
  OEM or selfmade by host CAD vendor

f) Were individual transition agreements made between some interested
customers, the host CAD vendor and/or Cadence, or were offers for
transitions made officially from one or both parties?

Thanks in advance, regards
Matthias Mansfeld

P.S.: If you want your replies handled confidentially, please
feel free to respond directly to me instead of the listserver.
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik
* Printed Circuit Board Design and Assembly
Am Langhoelzl 11, D-85540 Haar, GERMANY
Phone: +49-89-4620 0937, Fax: +49-89-4620 0938
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.mansfeld-elektronik.de