DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:33:58 -0700

I like Mary Sugden a lot! What class did you take?
I took a flex circuit design class there once, it was
GREAT!

Anyway (sorry to contradict you in public so much) I
just think if the IPC is sponsoring this forum, we
should at least TRY to say what they recommend when a
new guy asks a "newbie" question, and then add our own
experiences after that. It least the IPC gives people
a starting point (just my opinion). I love to hear the
banter back and forth, it illustrates what areas need
to be worked on the most.
I'm happy to hear you are participating in committees,
I have never tried that.

Have you ever downloaded standards in progress as PDF
files? All you do is send a mail to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
and in the SUBJECT just say
request (whatever)
for example send one and say
request IPC-SMEMA-1
and you will get it.
its just a working copy but it is always a later
version than what anyone else has!
(but it doesn't always work, only specs in "working
draft" mode? I don't know...)

anyway, keep up the good work!
(and thanks for the calculator)

seeya,
Jack

p.s. by the way, I don't think the main focus of the
IPC is to start developing "application specific"
numbers for every possibility, because they could
never keep up with what we are doing out here in the
world. Instead I think they do a decent job getting
people started who wouldn't otherwise know what to do,
or who don't want to be at the mercy of what one
particular vendor says to do. (again, just my opinion)

until next time....

--- Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>