DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Post, Devon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:17:02 -0600
Bill,

From what I know from previous attempts...  Since most materials don't
adhere well to teflon, when making a mixed dielectric board, it is
important the have lots of copper on the telfon core.  The board
manufacturer is relying on the FR4 prepreg to "stick" to the copper, and
not really the teflon.

As far as reducing RF losses, for the sake of argument the we will
assume it is a stripline environment, it is dependent on your return
paths.  In this case if the teflon dielectric is greater than the FR4
dielectric, the majority of your electric fields will be in the
dielectric with the closer return path, in this case the FR4.  This
would diminish the reason for using the teflon in the first place.
Accepting of the fact that this is a first order approximation of the
effect, only a good 2D field solver simulation of the cross-section and
loss would give you the correct answer.

My understanding is that assembling a board with mixed dielectrics is
possible, but your SI has to be sound.  Otherwise it is all for nothing,
sort of.  There may be some benefit, but it may not offset the cost of
such a material.

Contact me offline, if you would like to know more.

Devon

Devon J. Post - C.I.D.                   	 Mayo Foundation
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>    	       200 First Street SW
Voice:  (507) 538-5479                  	 Sn 2-134C
Fax:    (507) 284-9171             	   	 Rochester, MN 55905
Internet:  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html