DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:42:11 -0800
My rules of thumb:

Spacing between lines, 2 x trace width.(Trace width determined by impedance)
Spacing between pairs, 4 x trace width.
Avoid stubs
Place in-line series resistors at the source.
Terminations belong at the destination.
Follow the above rules, and trace length and layer changes will have minimal
effect.

BTW, I'm hand routing about 60 differential pairs on my current design,
involving video, audio and ethernet pairs.

David Ricketts

Pertek Engineering
Voice: 949-475-4485
Fax:   949-475-4493