DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"McConnell, Karen E" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:45:58 -0400
Carlos,

Your problem is the "clock" and not getting the material early.   The
clock on the PCB designer should not start before the design has gone
through a review but that doesn't mean you should not be working on it.

The designer can solve many issues by looking at the design while EE is
open to modifications (pre-review).   Getting a schematic early means
you have the time to make sure you don't have contradictory rules,
critical HS nets and parts can be placed to assist the EE in simulation,
test routes can be run on the board to evaluate problem areas that may
be corrected by a simple trade off of parts or different pinout for an
FPGA.

Concurrent design allows the designer to improve the layout by working
with the EE when there is still trade-off capability in the logic
design.

The sooner a potential problem is identified the easiest it is to
change.  Once the design has gone through review, the EE will not want
to make a change because now any modifications shows up as a documented
item as opposed to a simple design trade-off.

Work with your management to change the start time on the layout clock
instead of refusing to start working on the layout prior to a review.

Karen McConnell
Senior Member Engineering Staff - Electronics / PWB
Lockheed Martin - Engineering Process Improvement Center
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/