DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:10:11 -0500

Thank you very much for taking the time to educate me on this.

I'm a little embarrassed, because I had no idea what has taken place

regarding this work. Its very easy to spew out sarcasm when you are just

waiting for results. All I really heard was basically that "the IPC is

finally fixing the chart". I generally think of "the IPC" as an entity or a

corporation, and forget about the people behind the scenes. I feel like I

owe Mike an apology, so please forward this to him if you know his address.

I have never seen him on any of the forums I frequent.

Regarding your other question, my commute is so far away that I bought an

RV (I live near Peoria but work in Chicago), stay here in the parking lot

during the week and go home on the weekends. That means, from Monday night

through Thursday night I sit here at the computer until around midnight

working on my hobbies and spewing sarcasm <grin>. I would love to help out,

but don't know what to do. I'm a pretty good technical writer, and an

excellent proofreader, a small amount of web design experience, and almost

20 years of circuit board design experience. I have a lot of things going

right now, but could easily find a few hours a month to help out. So save

this email address and please keep me in mind, ok?

Thanks again,

Jack C. Olson

Circuit Board Designer

Caterpillar, Inc.

(630) 754-2431

p.s. I know IPC people are reluctant (or even forbidden?) to post in their

own forums, but this is a story that should be told. I really want to CC:

the group. (I'll cheerfully apologize later if it was unwise).

             "John Perry"

             g>

             PM                        <[log in to unmask]>

                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject

                                       IPC-2152 Current Carrying Capacity

                                       Standard Effort

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 05/11/2005

                                                Retention Category:  G90 -

                                                General

                                                Matters/Administration

Hello Jack,

I saw your e-mail on the DC forum regarding IPC-2152 and Mike Jouppi and

feel that it is important to clarify what has happened and where we are

with the document and what can be done to get it published.

There was considerable interest among the industry in the IPC-2152 back in

2001 and 2002.  In fact, we had quite a few people come to the standards

meetings for the document at the spring and fall IPC conferences.  The

problem that arose was that most of those folks were just interested in

finding out when the document was going to become available, and not in

participating in the development process of IPC-2152.

That is not to say that there were not some who offered their time, but

even in those cases, we’d see them at one meeting and then never again.

Each successive standards meeting for this task group had new people and

we’ve never been able to establish a strong, dedicated quorum of

individuals.  As time went on, the number of people attending the meetings

diminished – evidence of those who realized the document was not on the

immediate horizon for release.

And so in reality, the IPC 1-10b Current Carrying Capacity Task Group

became a one-man show I call “The Mike Jouppi Show”.  Mike left his

employer a few years back to embark on this project, and to date has

invested considerable personal expense into the testing phase of the

project to validate the new charts and to develop supporting software.  He

attempted to obtain grants and government funding for the testing but was

always turned away.  He has gone so far as to dip into his personal

retirement savings to keep this project afloat – I don’t know many industry

volunteers that would go that far for the sake of a standard that few

others were interested and in which, willing to assist.

Consequently he developed a website to educate people on the need to build

new charts for current carrying capacity.  He also developed the trace

calculator tool which, aside from its main goal of providing eventual

support for the IPC-2152, could help him recoup a small portion of his

personal expenses.

Presently we have found a group of roughly 4-5 designers who have offered

to stay the course and help Mike in evaluating draft revisions, and

although we are grateful for their offer of support, Mike needs help with

writing the revisions.   We need more industry help to get the document

completed.  I would like to invite you into the IPC 1-10b Current Carrying

Capacity Task Group as we work to get the document published.  Are you

interested?

I believe it is also important for those on the Designers Council forum to

understand that Mike’s role in this is not to turn the standards process

into a money-making machine for himself.  The truth is far from that.  In

reality, Mike is pushing forward with this because he strongly believes it

is important to the industry, even with the understanding that when all is

said and done, he will be financially in the red.  I think that’s a

tremendous sacrifice and people need to be aware of that.

<snip>

Thanks,

John Perry

Technical Project Manager