DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
David Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 15:52:55 -0700
Bill:

Thanks for the feedback.

PCB Libraries has a lot of good documentation (which is to IPC
Standards) on the thermal size, as well as a through hole calculator
to calculate it for you.  It's all good stuff.

The formula for calculating the via circumference is 2 x pi (3.14159) x r}.

The main issue is when I need to handle 30 amps, and I have to have a
thermal relief, how do I know it can handle the current required?  I
can add up the spokes and say I have a 200 mil (oops, 5.08mm) wide
trace, but since it only is 0.010" (.25mm) long, then there should be
a factor which states it can handle more current due to the extremely
short distance.  I did exactly what you said, but how can I be
sure?  I'm taking my best educated experience and I believe
everything is fine, but a tool to confirm things would be nice.

Thanks,

Dave