DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:03:32 -0700
Hi Matthew,

In fact, the comment that the caps are 2mm from the board edge and that they
are using a depaneling tool makes it 'Highly Likely' that the caps are being
BROKEN... in depanelization. Are you Vee-scoring the panels? If so, the
flexing at the vscore edge may be the culprit... at least it is the first
place I would really look closely at. I have seen app notes on just that
exact scenario where ceramic caps were failing due to the induced flexural
stress inherent in depanelization. Are the ones that crack near the edge and
at right angles to the edge? Or parallel? This is a very plausible cause...
Let me know what you find.

Re: pad sizes, I think the larger the land area the more heat it will
conduct to the solderpaste. If they are unduly small it will take a higher
temp to melt the solder in the same amount of time (or they need to slow the
machine to soak the board longer in to achieve melting temp) and there will
be very little fillet, (the thing that give the component it's mechanical
strength.) Too large will require a greater amount of paste and wasted
solder paste occurs... and parts float from one side to the other or
tombstone (stand up vertically) if unevenly flowed..  The IPC tries to give
min max values and not a 'recommended size' That's what the designer is
supposed to figure out... (although in practice many use the minimum
values.) Many designers use different pad sizes and rules for wave solder vs
IR reflow vs vapor phase soldering... there are many methods... the trick is
to design it for the manufacturing process most likely to be used.

- Bill Brooks

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS, INC
3030 Enterprise Court
Vista, CA 92083
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
mailto:[log in to unmask]
IPC Designers Council, San Diego Chapter
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm