DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:32:16 -0400
You have a problem.  I don't see how a DPAK can get rid of this much heat (you
didn't say what the high temp limit is of the environment) unless you use a
substrate (PC board) that can carry the heat away as that is what this package
was designed for.  The TO-220 uses the tab which you can bolt to and with a
copper block probably can conduct the heat to the chassis BUT then eventually
the chassis (which I presume doesn't have fins or significant air flow across
it, must itself get hot and loose heat by radiation (black box radiation) and
convection.  The more external surface you have (unpainted metal is better) the
better you will be.

How to determine how well you are doing?  Thermocouples placed on the tab, on
the chassis and in the air surrounding the box.  At 85C, you are pushing a
boulder up hill - you need to keep the junction temp below, what, 150C?  Every
10 degrees C doubles reliability in my book so get that die temp down by any
means you can.

I don't have the spec on this MOSFET but get ones with as low Rdss on as you can
as this is what is creating the heat.  If you go from 0.02 ohms to 0.04 ohms
then obviously the dissapation doubles.

I personally don't like DPAK - it can't get rid of the heat - you have found
this out the hard way.  Sorry.  Heatsinks inside chassiss don't do much but they
do help even if the heatsink is nothing but a strip of aluminum under the TO-220
tab bolted to the chassis wall.

You MUST instrument with thermocouples and a chart recorder in a temp chamber to
measure the improvements.  I like them best as they are the smallest sensor and
so can be wedged in places other sensors cannot.

Good luck,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments LLC