DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:07:31 -0800
Some of the language I have seen in agreements between companies and
independent designers makes me think that they spend a lot of time covering
their own liabilities... but they probably have much more to loose... What
do designers and contract engineers really need to think about when engaging
in business... I mean you might have your entire household at risk in some
cases isn't that possible? Or is this really not an issue for a small
company or individual contractor at all?

For example... here's just a little of the 'legalese' I have seen...

*****

5.      CONTRACTOR REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES.  Contractor hereby
represents and warrants that (a) the Client Work Product will be an original
work of Contractor and any third parties will have executed assignment of
rights reasonably acceptable to Client; (b) neither the Client Work Product
nor any element thereof will infringe the Proprietary Rights of any third
party; (c) neither the Client Work Product nor any element thereof will be
subject to any restrictions or to any mortgages, liens, pledges, security
interests, encumbrances or encroachments; (d) Contractor will not grant,
directly or indirectly, any rights or interest whatsoever in the Client Work
Product to third parties; (e) Contractor has full right and power to enter
into and perform this Agreement without the consent of any third party; (f)
Contractor will take all necessary precautions to prevent injury to any
persons (including employees of Client) or damage to property (including
Client's property) during the term of this Agreement; and (g) should Client
permit Contractor to use any of Client's equipment, tools, or facilities
during the term of this Agreement, such permission shall be gratuitous and
Contractor shall be responsible for any injury to any person (including
death) or damage to property (including Client's property) arising out of
use of such equipment, tools or facilities, whether or not such claim is
based upon its condition or on the alleged negligence of Client in
permitting its use.

6.      INDEMNIFICATION.  Contractor will indemnify and hold harmless
Client, its officers, directors, employees, sub-licensees, customers and
agents from any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, expenses and
costs (including attorneys' fees and court costs) which result from a breach
or alleged breach of any representation or warranty of Contractor (a
"Claim") set forth in Section 5 of this Agreement, provided that Client
gives Contractor written notice of any such Claim and Contractor has the
right to participate in the defense of any such Claim at its expense.  From
the date of written notice from Client to Contractor of any such Claim,
Client shall have the right to withhold from any payments due Contractor
under this Agreement the amount of any defense costs, plus additional
reasonable amounts as security for Contractor's obligations under this
Section 6.

9.5     Legal Fees.  If any dispute arises between the parties with respect
to the matters covered by this Agreement which leads to a proceeding to
resolve such dispute, the prevailing party in such proceeding shall be
entitled to receive its reasonable attorneys' fees, expert witness fees and
out-of-pocket costs incurred in connection with such proceeding, in addition
to any other relief it may be awarded.

9.6     Injunctive Relief.  A breach of any of the promises or agreements
contained in this Agreement may result in irreparable and continuing damage
to Client for which there may be no adequate remedy at law, and Client is
therefore entitled to seek injunctive relief as well as such other and
further relief as may be appropriate.

*****

Pretty heady stuff... eh? Makes my head spin... :-/

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com