DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:28:46 +0100
Hello everyone, I have recently had an engineers board flag up a soldering
problem on the shop floor.
(although I think that its only cosmetic)

C type pads were tried to allow a plastic connector to be hand soldered at
2nd stage, without the need for masking etc
before it went through the solder wave.
The connector cannot go through as it has retaining lugs that clip under the
edge of the board and would melt.

However, this c-type pad (std pad with 1mm slot in it) does not produce a
100% circumference solder joint, it only
produces about 75% once hand soldered.
I have looked at IPC-A-610C 6.3.2.1 and I "think" that it says that its OK,
I'm not too sure.

Its for use in a fire detection system so I think that this would be class
3, again I'm not sure.
Can anyone give me some advise on this please.

N.B. Although I have seen the IPC spec, we have not adopted them as a
standard for the shop floor
so until I can get them to adopt it, this is only a fact finding exercise.

Thankyou.

Matthew Lamkin.
Snr PCB Draughtsman,
Protec Fire Detection PLC.