DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:54:24 -0700
One additional thing that I believe is important regarding the 7351 v 782 issue, is
the acceptance by the international (read european (actually read "IEC")) community
of 7351, whereas it is my understanding that this is not and never was the case with
782. This issue is important now, and will become even more important in the future,
in expanding our (read USA) markets, and allowing us to integrate, design wise, into
a more internatioinal community, where, among other things, we will be able to more
easily be able to comply with "CE" standards, where we are using a design system
based on a set of internationally recognized system of "component footprints" which
is already "IEC" approved.

Another issue that may not be getting enough "press" here, is that while 782 was a
requirement that was pretty much limited to the pcb design and manufacturing
industry (board and assembly houses), 7351 is reaching out farther in insustry, and
as I understand it, being accepted by the component manufactures themselves, which
will among other things, probably eliminate a lot of those screwed up component
outline drawings and bizarre footprints, where dimensions seem to be picked out of
the clear blue sky, that we have all had to deal with at one time or another, even
from otherwise reputable companies.

It additionally appears that 7351 has reached out to resolve most, if not all, of
the issues that prevented people from accepting 782 in the past, and please remember
that this is just the first cut of 7351.

I think that given the a little time for people to accept it, that 7351 will really
be a great step forward.

JaMi Smith

D 275? I still have a couple of copies of MIL-STD-275C (and possibly even a B)
kicking around here somewhere, which actually get looked at and used every now and
then.