DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Alexis Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:32:16 -0700
Yes, I am a manager who subscribes to this list. Allegro has a long
learning curve (approx. 6-8 weeks depending on the person), and most
companies want a new designer to be able to hit the ground running (if at
all possible!), rather than spend that time training someone. However,
first and foremost on MY list is that the person MUST know how to design.
As we are looking for designers, we hope to get someone with experience on
our various systems, but if they don't have it, we have come to realize
that the time invested in training a good designer on our CAD systems (we
use Allegro and Protel) is well worth it in the long run. Naturally, I
can't speak for all managers, but this is where I stand on the issue.
At 01:52 PM 9/8/97 -0700, Gary Boccoleri wrote:
>This is the best suggestion I've seen. Has anyone else come up against
>this problem. In the Silicon Valley right now it looks like 2 or 3 years
>of Allegro experience will get you a job anywhere. 20 years of design
>experience won't even rate an interview. Do any managers subscribe to
>this list? Why are all of the employers gun shy about hiring someone
>without experience on their particular system?

=====
>Gary Boccoleri                  Phone: 408-764-5148
>3Com Corporation                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>5400 Bayfront Plaza
>Santa Clara CA 95052-8145
=====

>->From [log in to unmask]  Mon Sep  8 13:32:10 1997
>->Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:39:02 -0400
>->From: "Moltz, Wayne" <[log in to unmask]>
>->Subject: Re: [DESIGNERCOUNCIL] PCB Design System
>->To: [log in to unmask]
>->Content-MD5: gMuHNKzSThmwFmrXzBQ6qQ==
>->
>->In addition to Jack's "Excellent" suggestions, you might consider the
>->following. When hiring a Designer, consider their PCB Design experience
>->over their CAD System experience.  Any GOOD Designer can pick up a new
>->system quickly, but not every CAD operator can design PCB's.
>->
>->Wayne Moltz
>->Senior PCB Designer
>->MTCC/Panasonic
>->Suwanee, Ga.

Alexis Meehan                   PCB Design & Engineering Services
Delphi Bureau, Inc.             mailto:[log in to unmask]
San Jose Jet Center             tel: 408-938-9200
1250 Aviation Ave.  Suite 105   tel: 408-938-9201
San Jose, CA  95110             http:/www.delphibureau.com/