DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Cherie Litson (Nytec, Inc.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:13:32 -0700
Manoj,

This is a calculation that I found while teaching at ITT Tech from the
"Drafting for Electronics" text book.  I've found it works very well for
finding the minimum Center-to-Center pin spacing for leaded components.
By using some algebra, I shortened the one that was in this book to:

d  =  lead diameter
CL =  Component length

If d <=.027 inches:           7(d) + CL
If d >=.028 & <=.041 inches:        8(d) + CL
If d >=.042 inches:           9(d) + CL

Then round UP to nearest .100 inch for lead bending machines.  This
insures that the component won't break while bending the lead.  Also,
check with your manufacturer to find out what their lead bending
capabilities are.

It's been awhile since I looked at my notes, but I think this is
correct.  If you need more information about the text for reference, let
me know and I'll go through my library.

Hope this helps,
Cherie Litson
President, IPC Cascade Chapter