DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Kitty Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:02:08 -0600
My 2 cents.  I have used PADS, OrCAD, PCAD, Protel, Eagle and now Altium.

PADS is by far the best of all these...but I was working with a package

that had all the bells and whistles, $$$.  I guess you get what you pay

for.  Altium has been working well, my only issue with it is setting up

rules.  The way you have to set them up is not very user-friendly at all.

It's kinda like writing in Boolean, and then they don't always work like

you'd think they should.  If they could improve on that, the package would

get a big thumbs up from me.

The ad was Great, though!  It did stir up interest and catch everyones'

attention.

Kitty Hines

The Chamberlain Group, Inc.

(630)516-6655

             Charles Gervasi

             <cgervasi@PROSOFT

             -TECHNOLOGY.COM>                                           To

             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]

             DesignerCouncil                                            cc

             <DesignerCouncil@

             ipc.org>                                              Subject

                                       [DC] Cost of Altium and other

                                       packages

             11/25/2008 08:43

             AM

             Please respond to

                "(Designers

              Council Forum)"

             <DesignerCouncil@

             IPC.ORG>; Please

                respond to

              Charles Gervasi

             <cgervasi@PROSOFT

             -TECHNOLOGY.COM>

Andy,

Do you know about how much Altium costs?

I’ve used Allegro Lite (marketed as OrCAD PCB Designer) and Eagle.  I’ve

used PADS to review files, but I haven’t designed a board in it.  They all

seem roughly the same.  Some things are harder to do in one than the

others, but none of them seems completely superior.  PADS and Allegro Lite

cost around US$6000, and they try to get maintenance on top of that.

Electronics WorkBench is about the same, and I used to think of it as the

inexpensive one.  EagleCAD, however, costs $1000 for full schematic and

layout.

Do you know what makes some packages (such as Eagle) less expensive than

others?

BTW, this funny ad has gotten on talking about their product.  They did a

good job on it.

CJ