DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Mitch S. Morey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:48:45 -0700
I happened into the designer realm in the early 80's (1982) when Northrup
was doing the guidance on the MX missle (which became the PeaceKeeper
missile). SM, round! boards in separate cavities inside a berrilium
'floating' ball! Surface mount was new back then. We were also doing our
own hybrid circuits (which became ICs), and I got to help out with that.

I'm not sure when we 'drove' down this new path, but I was hired back then
with NO experience other than being able to draft well, and my manager(s)
seemed taken with my will to learn. I was hand-picked out of 12-15 people,
along with 3 others to learn 'their' new digitizing tool (Applicon).
That's the start of my background.

As for IPC. Their specs are invaluable! Every designer should know them
inside and out! Every designer should have them readily available at their
finger tips. (I'm sure everyone already has them, right? Yeah, right)
That's key! We need the specs, and the experience. The test and CID/CID+?
That's up to each individual.

BTW, anyone check on how many people from Cadence and Mentor have cert?
Almost everyone. Does that make my software more 'design-able'? Hardly.

Good day.

Mitch