DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:20:56 EST
ATLANTA
Next meeting: April 8
Topic: DfM/DfT
Location: Marriott Hotel (Norcross)

The chapter met Feb. 24 to kick off the schedule for 1999. The meeting again
was graciously hosted by American Megatrends in Norcross. A presentation--"How
to Build a Circuit Board" was given by Hadco Corp.

The next meeting will be held in conjunction with a technical symposium
sponsored by Valor Computerized Systems Inc. Although it will be held in the
morning you may want to make every effort to break away and learn. It will be
time well spent.

Following registration and a continental breakfast at 8 will be presentations
on Design For Manufacturablity, given by Tracy Watt, senior field applications
engineer at Hadco; Design for Assembly (DfA), by Larry Church, director -
worldwide CAD, Jabil Circuits; and Design for Test, also by Church. After
lunch will be a Gerberless data transfer demo using Cadence and Mentor tools,
followed by open discussion.

We will conduct some official Designers Council business after the meeting.
Specifically, the direction of the study group for designer certification. We
currently have about 12 members that are very interested in getting together
to prepare for the certification test coming up the end of this year. We have
a contact at the Houston chapter who is willing to give input on how we can
succeed. Also, any other business, suggestions, ideas, can be addressed at
this time.

To help with logistics please respond to via email. The meeting will be held
at the Norcross Marriott, 475 Technology Parkway, Norcross (770-263-8858).

A/HOT (Austin)
Next meeting: April 6
Topic: Hot buttons for PWB assembly
Location: XeTel Corp.

Our upcoming meeting topic is Hot Buttons for PWB Assembly. There will be
three guest speakers, Kermit Aguayo, senior process engineer at XeTel, Brad
Heath, vice president of engineering at TMDI Corp., and Michael Davis, VP of
manufacturing at EMI Corp. The topic should prompt discussions of a variety of
issues related to PWB design and assembly. The speakers will go over examples
of recent issues/problems or recommendations. A question and answer period
will follow.

Come and enjoy free pizza at 6:30, followed by the presentation and business
meeting from 7 to 8:30. RSVP for pizza to Rick Prekup or Brenda Hutchinson.

XeTel is located at 2105 Gracy Farms Lane. A/HOT's next meeting will be held
June 1, also at XeTel. The topic will be Engineering Expectations for the PCB
Designer.

AUSTRALASIAN
Dates for monthly meetings in Melbourne will now alternate between Wednesday
(odd months) and Thursday (even months) at 6:30 p.m. at the SMCBA offices.

AUSTRALIA
The chapter grows! We will be sending a schedule for the rest of the year to
chapter members about member requested activities and we will also be posting
it on our Web site. We are arranging guest speakers and presentations for the
year. The activity level of the chapter is increasing through the needs of its
members. We will also provide international designer programs for Australian
designers. Rick Hartley returned to our shores again and delivered his High-
Speed Design and Impedance Control workshops in Adelaide and Sydney late
February and returns in May to deliver this program at the Nepcon Australia 99
Conference in Melbourne to be held the  last week of May. Gary Ferrari is also
conducting the IPC Designer Certification workshop at the invitation of our
chapter. Further info is at www.attecaustralia.com.

CENTRAL OHIO
Our past meeting took place March 16, at Circuit Center Inc. in Dayton. We
toured CCI, a board manufacturer, and discussed the fabrication process.

GREATER BOSTON
Next meeting: April 21
Topic: Signal integrity
Location: Holiday Inn (Newton)

Recent meetings on GenCAM and Power System Integrity have been well received,
drawing 35 to 50 attendees from the chapter as well as SMTA, NEDDMA, and
engineering communities. Thank you for your continued support.

The next general meeting is April 21, at 6 p.m. The topic is Signal Integrity
Basics: Problems and Solutions. The presenter is Ed Murphy, technical trainer
and consultant with Viewlogic, who is graciously hosting this session in its
training lab. Seating is limited and restricted to members in good standing.
Viewlogic is located on Rte. 20 in Marlboro, about 1.5 miles west of I-495, on
the right. The $10 meeting fee includes pizza and soft drinks. RSVP required:
email [log in to unmask] (subject: RSVP IPCDC 4/21) no later than April
19.

The next steering committee meeting is April 6, 6 p.m., at Victoria's Station
Restaurant on the Middlesex Turnpike in Burlington.

HOUSTON
A free, one-day technical class, for paid members, will be presented in May by
Randy Collins of Baker Atlas. The topic, Electronic Principles, will be geared
to give designers better understanding of how to take a theoretical design and
apply it to the physical creation of a PWB. For more information contact Paul
Danna at Compaq Computer Corp. (281-518-6735).

MIDWEST (Minneapolis)
Next meeting: April 6
Location: Old Country Buffet (Eden Prairie)
Topic: IPC-4101

From 6:30 to 7 we will conduct administrative business. At 7 is our featured
speaker, Erik Bergum, corporate director of technical services at Polyclad
Laminates Inc.

Bergum has 15 years experience in the industry with a background in the
printed circuit board process development and manufacture, and laminate and
prepreg technologies. He has held a variety of positions in engineering,
manufacturing and marketing. Bergum has degrees in chemical engineering and
chemistry from the University of Minnesota. He is the chairman of the IPC
Multilayer Material Subcommittee, which recently published IPC-4101,
Specification for Base Materials for Rigid and Multilayer Printed Circuit
Boards, and has received the IPC President's Award. He is the author of
numerous technical articles and papers.

Dinner will be at your expense ($8.51with tax). Please invite anyone that may
be interested in attending our meeting. Need more information? Contact Carl
Lokowich (612-931-5037; [log in to unmask]).

NORTHEAST OHIO
Next meeting: April 7
Topic: Plant tour/DfM presentation
Location: APSCO

The April meeting is from 4 to 6 p.m. Thanks to Jim Lewalk for making
arrangements and providing facilities. APSCO's new, state-of-the-art assembly
facility is located at 3700 Lane Rd., Perry.

The 1999 schedule was started by Bob Popielski and Dave Wolf of Hadco Corp.,
who came on short notice. Dave gave terrific state of the industry
presentation as well as covering questions from members.

NEODC is working to get a Web site on line and is looking for info and
services to accomplish this. Also, the April designer certification workshop
and exam is fast approaching: be prepared.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST (Portland)
Next meeting: May 19
Topic: New design standards
Location: Tektronix Inc.

Starting with this past general membership meeting we have begun to offer
meetings based on the needs of our members, as indicated in recent surveys.
Our survey mainly centered on the need for high-speed design and the design
certification program. We plan on doing our best with the volunteers who've
made themselves available to help everyone. Thanks to all who have and plan on
volunteering your special skills and knowledge to others within this chapter.

Our Feb. 17 general membership meeting featured Chaye Bookey of Praegitzer
Design, who presented Overview of Fabrication and Materials Standards. She
reviewed IPC-6011 and IPC-6012 (and others). Her active standing in IPC
committees and understanding on the practical aspects of PCB fabrication made
her an excellent resource of information.

Jim Yohe of Yohe Design Services and Roxanne Jones of Tektronix reviewed MIL-
S-13949, IPC-L-108, IPC-L-109, and IPC-4101 standards. Also presented was the
PCB Construction/Performance Guideline, available for download from our
chapter Web site.

Our next executive board meeting is April 21, from 6 to 8:30 and hosted by
Praegitzer, 7245 NW Evergreen Parkway, Ste. 100, Hillsboro. For directions
call 503-531-2050.

Our upcoming schedule:
May 19: Overview of New Design Standards (222X series), by Ruth Delker.
Location: Tektronix B39.
July 21: PCB design certification review
July 21 - 23: IPC designer certification training and testing/CAD vendor
roundtable. Location: Holiday Inn (Kent, WA).
Sept. 15: High-speed design workshop
Nov. 17: Routing topologies

SAN DIEGO
Next meeting: April 22
Topic: DfM/technology  overview
Location: Hallmark Circuits Inc.

James White, sales engineering manager at Hallmark, will present an overview
on DfM, and will provide a tour. Hallmark produces prototypes, preproduction,
and small-volume production in its new 72,000 sq. ft. facility. Hallmark is
located at 13500 Daniel St., Poway. Meeting time is 6 to 8:30. There is a
charge of $5 for nonmembers.

Here is the agenda:
6 - 6:30 Dinner (Compliments of Hallmark, to all attendees.)
6:30 - 6:45 IPC business issues
6:55 - 7:15 Hallmark presentation
7:15 - 8:30 Factory tours

Please RSVP no later then April 15 to Raymond Aguilar (760-438-8362, ext.
3258; [log in to unmask]), Tom Johnson ([log in to unmask]), Leslie Gomez at
SBS Embedded Computers (760-632-5823, ext. 18; [log in to unmask]). We need
the head count to plan the meal.

Leslie Gomez has been appointed treasurer. Also, Mike Creeden of XLNT has been
appointed education committee leader.

Thanks to Rick Hartley for presenting an overview for EMI and impedance
control practices at our last meeting.

The next meeting is being planned for June; please stand by for updates.
Community highlight: The Council is working with instructors at Palomar
College in San Marcos to encourage their involvement to help local designers
achieve an enhanced level of industry practices and the value of the IPC
Designer certification program. Also, study groups are forming for the
certification exam.

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND
Next meeting: April 14
Topic: Surface finishes
Location: Connie's (Derby)

Our presentation this month is an overview of current and prospective surface
finishes for SMT assembly and advantages and disadvantages in terms of
material and processing costs, shelf life, coplanarity, fine pitch SMT
assembly, capital equipment costs, industry acceptance.

Featured speaker Leighton MacMillan, chief technology officer at Coretec, a
printed circuit fabricator, has over 18 years in PCB manufacturing management.

SOUTH JERSEY
Next meeting: April 1999
Topic: IPC-2221
Location: Formation Inc.

During our past two meetings we explored the first two-thirds of IPC-2221. For
the coming meeting, we will examine the final third. Formation is located at
121 Whittendale Rd., Cherry Hill. Pizza and soft drinks will be served.

SUSQUEHANNA REGION
Our chapter hosts a study group to discuss the requirements and help prepare
for the designer certification exam. We meet Monday nights, from 6:30 to 8
p.m., at RPA Electronics Design LLC, 1285 Chenango St., Binghamton. Please
reply to Mark Radley (607-771-0393; [log in to unmask]) to confirm your interest
and ability to attend and any other comments. If dates/times are a problem
please let us know. Sally Meyers of Celestica, president of the Susquehanna
chapter and a certified designer, will be on hand at many of our meetings to
keep us on the right track in our studies and discussions.