DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Volkmar Huss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:01:45 +0200
Good morning Matthew,

we determine the minimal distance between SMT components by the allowable minimum distance

between component pads. Which in turn is calculated taking into account the minimum width for

solder-mask structures (appr. 0.15mm) and adding the size of the opening in the solder-mask

of the component pad (e.g. 0.075mm) times two. So that we arrive at 0.3mm distance between

pads for reflow soldering.  For wave soldering the SMT component distance must be derived

from component heights because of shadowing effects. In this case a distance of 2.5mm between

centers for chip components of 0805 size will work fine.

        Volkmar

------------------

--

  Volkmar Hu                                   Drger Electronics GmbH

  Packaging and Interconnection Technology      Kst. 3022

  Aufbau- und Verbindungstechnik                Moislinger Allee 53/55

  Phone +49 451 882-3998

  FAX              -4365                        23542 Lbeck / Germany

  mailto:[log in to unmask]

------

Engineer: (v.) to build something with bugs (software) or glitches (hardware).

(n.) One who engineers.

000000000000000000007	ެ*.ȥƢ鮋u?jއ"?!$?N˛n zI4E<_D?~e^^p/9o칸s߉]/ cNzȠ¢܊ӯ*'h^+ޯ_޲('zw"HE
"w
r*?4