DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:47:41 -0700
Chris,

Question: do you design in imperial or metric?

Answer: Yes.

And that is not just a "flip" answer either, since many of todays designs
are actually mixed.

But isn't that why most systems today claim to be "shape based" - so they
can handle both?

Here in the US I find that most companys think SAE / Imperial in terms of
mechanical design, which usually necessitates a board outline and mounting
be done in Imperial, and to that add that most components are also actually
made in Imperial (even though there may be a metric part drawing the units
are usually something like 2,54mm (duh)).

In reality, while many people claim to be dimensioning in "decimal" units
within the Imperial
system, you have to wonder when they use dimensions like .437 (or .438),
.312. .937(8) .062(3), .625, etc., and can't seem to function without a
"decimal equivalent" chart.

I usually attempt to build and place components on a 5 mil Imperial grid,
simply because I hate to see those real bizzare 10 place decimal numbers in
the location column in the pick and place file.

Needless to say, most systems today can operate and output in either Metric
or Imperial by simply changing something in an options menu.

JaMi Smith