DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:08:36 -0700
     I just wanted to answer a couple of questions.

     I work for a company that makes consumer electronics.  Our preferred
     silk-screen size is 1.5 mm (0.060) high, 0.2 mm (0.008) width.

     As far as lining up the components and facing them all the same
     direction:  Our manufacturer's pick-and-place machines can rotate
     their heads only 90 degrees.  I am allowed to place my components in
     only two directions (i.e.:  0 degrees and 90 degrees OR 180 degrees
     and 270 degrees).  Any variation on this would require extra setup
     time and some components may be put in backwards accidentally.
     Perhaps if you talk to your customer, they will allow you to follow
     this rule.  It may not be perfect, but it might help.

     As far as chip caps on the other side of the board:  maybe they're
     just trying to save money on the extra silk-screen process needed when
     there are components on both sides of the board.

     Anyway, these are just my opinions.

     M. J.