DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 05:43:52 -0700

Hi Brandon,

We tie all our vias directly to the plane without thermals, and have had
no problem with heat dissipation causing cold solder joints.  The widest
trace we will pull off a land is 25 mils wide, and this only in the case
of 50 mil pitch parts.  Those parts with a finer pitch, we generally will
connect using a 12 or 10 mil trace.  Of course this is usually only in the
case of power and ground signals, although we have used thicker traces on
occasion to effect the impedance of certain critical signals.  All our vias
are kept a minimum of 20 mils (edge to edge) from the surface mount land.

Best regards,
Ken Barrett
Cisco Systems
San Jose CA