DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:34:27 -0600
Unless things have changed, it seems to me that doing a
board in AutoCAD would be nothing more than a glorified
drawing.
Nothing WRONG with that, but to me, the ability to package
footprints from schematic symbols and have netlists would
be a huge advantage over "drawing" a circuit board, regardless
of what output format could be generated.

Just for the record, my company (Caterpillar) pays six figures
a year for our Mentor Graphics tools, and I have access to
some very sophisticated stuff in the normal course of my day,
so I'm not a hobbyist looking for old Bishop decals (funny guy.)

Saying "nothing is free" is meaningless.

We have partnered with an assembly company who has test
engineers using ExpressPCB to crank out boards for far less
than we could. Our fast-turn prototype house has a $1200
minimum order, and ExpressPCB is offering deals for $51 ???

My interest is in finding out if there is a better alternative than
ExpressPCB (free). Thanks for the tip about Pad2Pad. All three
of these look about the same (with PCB123) Is there anything
to differentiate between them?

freePCB http://www.freepcb.com/ looks better, because it is an
open source project that has no restrictions (makes real Gerbers,
higher layer count, etc) but I don't know anyone that has ever
tried it.
Jack