DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Scott Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:05:06 -0400
James,
I'm right there with you. I've always had pretty good results with the tool
that I'm using, but don't think I've ever had a request for 50ohm
differential impedance and felt a little uncomfortable blindly accepting the
numbers.  This is a microstrip design with two traces that maintain a
consistent distance from each other over a GND plane.

It's a very simple layout and is not a dynamic application. I can specify
1/2 oz Cu, but that resulted in a wider trace width and was going to present
a few routing problems.

This request is from the flex manufacturer. They apparently do not have any
real design capability (a CAM guy for the panelization) or the ability to do
these calculations themselves.

Thanks for the help !