DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:25:37 +0000
Hi Juan,

Unfortunately the IPC-2616 (Sectional requirements for Assembly Documentation) doesn't appear to be released as of yet, that would have been my first choice.  IPC-D-325 " Documentation Requirements for Printed Boards, Assemblies and Support Drawings " would be next and the final would be the IPC-2221  "Generic Standard on Printed Board design".  Others may be able to point to a good reference.

But I'll give you a few guidelines that I've used over the years.

1.  All ref-des for every component used on the assy shall be on the assy drawing(we don't permit exceptions here).  Silkscreen has a bit flexibility, but the assy drawing doesn't.
2.  Place the ref-des either inside the assy outline of the component or adjacent to it.  Some parts may be too small to have a readable ref-des, so adjacent and sized to be readable would be best.  If placed away from the part, you'll need a leader.
3.  If you need to place ref-des outside the board outline, such as for a very small boards, you'd need leaders pointing to the parts.
4.  Make it very clear which parts go to which ref-des, reduce ambiguity as much as you can.  This will limit the phone calls and questions.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins CID+,CIT
Senior PCB Staff Designer || L-3  Linkabit || Ph: 858-552-9832 || [log in to unmask]