DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:39:14 -0600
George, correct me if I am wrong but the last time I was on the IPC web
site the viewer was there and it was FREE.

You don't have to buy anything to have what you had with SM-782.

However the web version did let you create land patterns but it was very
limited.

http://landpatterns.ipc.org/default.asp

If you wanted to have the electronic version of SM-782 (Excel format), you
had to pay $50.00 US.
I did buy that version and used it quite a bit.

Today IPC charges $50 for the hard copy of IPC-7351 and gives you a CD with
the viewer.  No calculator with this package.

If you go to PCB Libraries you can buy the new calculator for $177.00 US I
think.  That is more than what I paid for the old one but it works a lot
better.

http://www.pcblibraries.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=16

Anyway, just because Nick changed jobs doesn't mean that he or anyone else
is trying to "hoodwink" anyone.

IMHO. :)

Donald

At 04:51 PM 3/21/2005, you wrote:
><ONLINE>
>
>The thing I don't care for is that a company has the appearance of pushing
>thru a standard that directly benefits themselves.  This is not a company
>getting indirect benefit from increased exposure, this is a company
>developing a tool that has the appearance of driving the standard that it
>supports, with the involvement of an IPC insider.  Perhaps if some free
>functionality had been maintained (such as just providing the numbers
>without actually creating the package symbol), I would feel that we (the DC
>members) hadn't been "hoodwinked."  As it is, the appearance is otherwise.
>
>The IPC "profits" (and I agree that some of those costs are necessary),
>PCBLibraries profits (which is not in itself bad), but the designers have to
>purchase a tool that provides the same function (admittedly with more
>features) as a tool that was previously provided for free.  I have to
>believe that if the standard hadn't been championed by one of the developers
>of the (for-profit) tool, some volunteer effort might have upgraded the
>existing SM-782 on-line tool to continue to work for free.  I would have
>been happy to contribute to this tool, I am sure other ( web / asp /
>JavaScript / java / MySQL / whatever ) savvy designers would have
>participated as well.  PCBStandards would still have made money from its
>tool, IPC would have still made money to support its efforts from the
>standard, the designers would not have had to purchase a replacement for a
>tool they had used for years for free, peace would have reined in the world,
>and the Easter bunny would have delivered his eggs on time.
>
>Nothing personal, Nick, I am sure you did not see anything wrong with this
>and I am not trying to throw stones at you personally.  But the appearance
>of some "funny-business" is there.  And I had to vent in public, too, Chris.
>
><:^/
>
>--
>George Patrick
>Tektronix, Inc.
>Central Engineering, PCB Design Group
>P.O. Box 500, M/S 39-512
>Beaverton, OR 97077-0001
>Phone: 503-627-5272         Fax: 503-627-5587
>http://www.tektronix.com    http://www.pcb-designer.com
>
>It's my opinion, not Tektronix'

Donald Kyle C.I.D.+
(IPC Certified Advanced Interconnect Designer)
Senior Development Technician
281-285-7528 voice
281-285-8593 fax
Schlumberger