DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:51:44 -0500
Be careful that you didn't misunderstand what they said, you might want
to ask them for clarification. According to IPC your minimum annular ring
(if that is what they meant by hole to pad edge) can be 1-2 mils, depending
on your board requirements, or .025-.052mm to keep the units straight.

What I suspect they meant was that a drilled hole to conductor should be
that distance. For example, say you remove the unused pads from inner
layers,
so what distance away do you keep your traces from this hole with no pad?
They may be recommending .6mm, but from my experience .35mm is more
typical.

In any case, to maintain a hole edge to hole pad of .6 and accounting for
misregistration (even if you are using a minimum fab tolerance of .25mm
for a level c board less than 8 layers and less than 300mm long as shown
in Table 9-1), board layout would be almost impossible.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a "set in stone" value .6mm anywhere in
the document.
I would ask for clarification. (and I would buy a copy of IPC-2221)

good luck,
Jack

Dave Sharples <[log in to unmask]>@IPC.ORG>
24Jul2002 11:04 PM

Please respond to "(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>;
      Please respond to Dave Sharples <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>