DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dom Bragge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:45:06 +1000
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Bob Walker wrote:

> I'd like to know how many designers provide an unplated hole under each BGA
> component in a design, so that a thermocouple can be placed to monitor
> temperature. I'm thinking of doing this in all of my designs to help make it
> easy to create a temperature profile on a new design. Do you use more than
> one hole or is one sufficient?

We don't design a hole in. We just sacrifice a board to get it right (with
a dummy bga component). This gets us pretty close, pretty quickly.

It saves having to design that hole in for all boards.

--
Dom Bragge      (VK2JNA)   Lucent Technologies (SAS)
Senior PCB Designer(R&D)   16 Smith St Chatswood NSW 2067