DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:56:44 -0500
...but it's not a forbidden act in itself. At least not universally; and especially
for 1206 size. In a perfect world all SMT escape routes would be precisely
balanced and accessible after assembly. And in a perfect world, you would
never have an opportunity to work on jobs where a perfect result was not
possible.....

Love Lexington, btw.

-Chris

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:44:33 -0700, Allen Maddox
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Solder-mask is not an insulator, or at least that's not it's purpose or spec'ed
for. The chance of a terminal touching a trace that goes under it is
possible. Most component body are not spec'ed for insulation either. If you
can guarantee no voltage arc from a trace into the body of the component,
then you have that part covered. If you cannot guarantee insulation, don't
take the chance.

Allen Maddox, CID+

Allen Maddox Printed Circuit Board Designs and Services
www.maddoxpcb.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/trailsitter