DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Litson, Cherie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:03:38 -0700
There are many questions that this raises.  Are you reflowing?  Are you
specifying to have all components glued?  Are these 1206's, 0805's, 0603's
or 0402's? Are your traces weight balanced on either side of the component?
Are you pads the same width as the part or wider?  Are you pushing their
design rules for spacing?

I'm guessing they are probably not gluing the parts.  Taking the trace out
the corner can causes a "pull" in the direction of your trace exit on the
component - if the component is small.  With as close as we all like to
place parts, that can cause some migration of the components into each
other.  SMT components used to be glued all the time.  That's not happening
as much - everyone is trying to reduce their costs and this eliminates a
process.  It is also difficult (not impossible) for many assembly companies
to glue 0603's & 0402's.

Sounds like they're mode of operation is probably "Re-work", and not
"Process Control".  If you're doing any CPLD's or BGA's, don't use them or
ask them to make some adjustments.  Look at the assembly error reports and
see what's going on.  Sometimes we can make things smoother with some minor
adjustments to our thinking and sometimes they can.

My 3cents worth. (inflation, ya know--)
Cherie