DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:42:02 EST
Hi everyone,

Here are the Designer Council local chapter reports for February. Please
support your local chapters!

Mike Buetow
IPC

IPC Designers Council Chapter Reports--February 1999 ATLANTA An education/certification study group is being formed by Marcus Johnson at CADSouth. Those interested may contact him at 770-448-6576. Anyone wishing to help out, be an officer, etc. please call. A/HOT (Austin) Next meeting: Feb. 2 Topic: Specctra autorouter Location: XeTel Corp. AHOT will meet Feb. 2. The technical topic will be An Overview of the Specctra Autorouter, presented by Jerry Hopp. Pizza will be served at 6:30 p.m., with the presentation and chapter business from 7 to 8:30. XeTel is located at 2105 Gracy Farms Lane. Our April meeting is April 6, also at XeTel. The topic is Hot Buttons for PWB Assembly, and we will have three or four guest speakers from various circuit board assembly suppliers. AUSTRALASIAN Dates have been set for a High Speed PCB and System Design workshop to be presented by Lee Ritchey of 3COM Corp. Dates for the Melbourne workshop are April 12 and 13, while one will be held April 15 and 16 in Sydney. Obtain details from Andrew Pollock. Dates for monthly meetings in Melbourne will now alternate between Wednesday (odd months) and Thursday (even months) at 6:30 p.m. at the SMCBA offices. AUSTRALIAN Next meeting: February Topic: Impedance- and EMI-control circuit design Location: Adelaide and Sydney Rick Hartley of Applied Innovation Inc. returns to deliver his Impedance Control and EMI Circuit Design program in Sydney the last week of February. CENTRAL OHIO Next meeting: March 17 In January we installed our newly elected 1999 chapter officers, based on a ballot-by-mail. We discussed how to approach designer certification, i.e., preparation, study groups, training classes. We also discussed having the exam administered on-site for our members. The 1999 election results: President: Mike Floyd, Alpha-C; vice president: Rick Hartley, Applied Innovation; Secretary: Dan Tagg, Mettler-Toledo; Treasurer: Keith Morgan, Applied Innovation. The results of a certification survey were announced and discussed. The survey indicates that most responding members are interested in becoming certified in 1999. And the most popular method to prepare for the exam is by attending a scheduled IPC training session. Not many members were in favor of the study group approach. The idea of our chapter setting up a scheduled training session and exam was discussed and approved, pending actual number of members that signup. Efforts are continuing. Our chapter is helping with the groundwork for a surface mount module. The consensus was that initial certification should come first, then maybe some effort could be applied to the focus module. Setting up and maintaining a Web site was also discussed. Most members present agreed it would be a good way to attract new members and communicate chapter activities. Jeff McGlaughlin has spearheaded this activity and expects that it will happen soon. We'll meet next March 17, place and topic to be determined. GREATER BOSTON Next meeting: Feb. 9 Topic: Power distribution/performance Location: Lockheed Martin (Lexington) Last month Mike Collier, applications engineer at Teledyne, presented the design and manufacture of rigid-flex circuitry. In February we'll have Power Distribution and Power System Performance, with Istvan Novak of Sun Microsystems. Lockheed Martin is on Forbes Rd in Lexington; the meeting charge is $5 (pizza included). On March 10 is a joint meeting with NEDDMA. The presentation is GenCAM, the New Manufacturing Data Standard, with Harry Parkinson of Compaq Computer. The meeting will be held at the Holiday Inn, Newton. We'll have a $25 buffet dinner. An RSVP to [log in to unmask] required for all IPC DC attendees. The steering committee meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Victoria's Station Restaurant, Burlington (across from the Burlington Mall on Middlesex Turnpike), at 6 p.m. NORTH ALABAMA Help us get the chapter up and running again, and feel free to invite anyone who is interested. NORTHEAST OHIO Next meeting: Feb. 3 Topic: DfM/materials Location: Pepperl+Fuchs Bob Popielski and Dave Wolf of Hadco Corp. will present design for manufacturability (line widths, hole sizes, board dimensions, surface finishes, and pad-hole relationships). They'll then give technology updates on laser and photodefined microvias, high speed laminates, embedded capacitance, embedded resistance, planar magnetics, sequential lamination, hybrid lamination (different core materials in a single PWB construction), and rigid-flex construction. Finally, they'll discuss multilayer construction fabrication notes and documentation. We'll have pizza and soda, so arrive early and RSVP. The next meeting is April 7, from 4 to 6 p.m. Subject and location to be determined. We'll host an IPC designer certification exam/workshop in April. NORTHERN ILLINOIS Next meeting: Feb. 24 Topic: Designing for BGAs Location: 3COM Corp. The Northern Illinois IPC D.C. will present designing for BGA parts, courtesy of Tom Ruberto of 3COM (Rolling Meadows). For further information contact: Karl Bates or Rachel Sheffer (773-880-2327; [log in to unmask]). NORTH TEXAS Last month we talked about the new suite of IPC design standards. The next core group meeting will be on Feb. 4 at a time and location to be determined. ORANGE COUNTY Rich Hagan had to step down as president due to other time conflicts. We thank him for his efforts in getting the chapter going. Volunteers are sought to replace Rich and to organize meetings. Contact Gary Ferrari for more information. PACIFIC NORTHWEST (Portland) Next meeting: March We are undecided on the topic for the March meeting but will continue to speak with people in order to develop more ideas. There were 29 attendees at our annual meeting in January, hosted by Mentor Graphics, our largest of any thus far! Don Tabor of Judge Technical (soon to be with Intel), presented an informational survey form to solicit ideas for future events and presentations. Jim Yohe asked the group to consider locations for future meetings. Gary Ferrari was our guest speaker in January. We asked Gary: "What is our purpose?" His response: 1) Stay challenged by maintaining enthusiasm and covering desired input, 2) aim to continue IPC training opportunities, 3) focus on networking. Gary presented his session DFM: Design for Manufacturability. A good discussion ensued regarding the newly revised design and materials standards. These are the basis used to produce PCB designs meeting calculated performance specifications. We all felt his time with us was far too short. Next time we'll try to set up a couple of days for a more in-depth presentation. Thank you Gary! Our final business was elections. Our new slate of officers: Jim Yohe, president; Tim Mullin, vice president; Ruth Delker, Praegitzer Design, secretary; Lynette Hawkins, Tektronix, treasurer; Don Tabor, public relations. Educational services is unfilled. Our next executive board meeting is Feb. 17 at the Portland office of Praegitzer Design. SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND Next meeting: Feb. 10 Topic: Data transfer Location: Connie's (Derby) To begin the year on an interesting and sometimes controversial note, we have invited Harry Parkinson, Compaq Computer, chair of the IPC Data Transfer task group, to give the details of the much-publicized GenCAM format for data transfer. This format transfers complete electronic data from CAD to fabrication, bare board test, assembly, and assembly test. We have all had our share of data transfer problems, so come and learn how the industry has made this necessity as accurate and painless as possible. The sponsor for this meeting is Veribest Inc. For meeting details please contact John Laseter. In addition to data transfer, a designer certification study group has been formed with the intent of having an on-site certification examination in the May/June timeframe. For more information please contact Bobby Wolfe at 203-882-6405. SOUTH JERSEY The current series of meetings focuses on IPC-2221, the standard for printed board design, replacing IPC-D-275. An explanation of the relationship between IPC-2221 with respect to the rest of the IPC-2220 series of standards is being covered. Leon Cohen is making the presentations. SPACE COAST (Melbourne) Next meeting: Feb. 18 Topic: TBA Location: Harris ESS (Palm Bay) New chapter officers for 1999 were elected at our January meeting. They are: Charles R. Fisher, Harris Government Communications Systems Div., president; William Cardew, Harris Information Systems Div., vice president; Clifford H. Lamson, Harris Aerospace Systems Div., secretary/webmaster. We discussed plans for 1999, including our intention to build a Web site and our goal to recruit 30 new members. We have 20 paid members, and that number has held steady for about a year. We are forming an executive committee, consisting of the officers and any interested/committed chapter members, to deal with chapter business on an ongoing basis. Andy Pedersen of Harris gave a talk on the vanishing military specs and the new IPC standards for PWB materials and fabrication, including IPC-4101 and IPC-L-125. Our next meeting is at 11:30 a.m., at the Harris ESS building 2 Auditorium on Palm Bay Road, in Palm Bay. No speaker has been scheduled as of this date. Several Space Coast members passed the designer certification exam and were recognized for their achievement by their immediate management in a celebration luncheon at Harris GCSD (Palm Bay, FL). They began studying last February at weekly lunch meetings, continuing until taking the exam Aug. 19. SUSQUEHANNA REGION Next meeting: Feb. 24 Topic: Electronics packaging tear down Location: Binghamton University On Feb. 24 we'll hold a joint meeting with ASME. Bahgat Sammakia, director of the Integrated Electronics Engineering Center at Binghamton University, will give an introduction on IEEC. Rich Redolphy will follow with Electronics Packaging Teardown, the analysis of electronics packaging technology used in state-of-the-art consumer electronics products. Redolphy investigates new designs, components, processes, materials, and assemblies related to electronics packaging for new and soon-to-be-released consumer electronics. A short tour of the IEEC laboratories is also planned. Prior to the presentation there will be an optional dinner buffet. The cost of the buffet is $14. Contact David Treacy at Corning (607-974-1604; [log in to unmask]) or Bill Dieffenbacher at Lockheed Martin (607-770-2961; [log in to unmask]) by Feb. 17. The dinner is at 6:30 p.m., with the presentation and tour starting at 7:30 p.m. We'll meet in the Chenango Room, Science 1 Building, at BU. The IEEC, a research consortium in electronics packaging, is a New York State Center for Advanced Technology. The IEEC is an organized research center in the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science at Binghamton University. Directions: Follow Route 17 east to Exit 70 south (Rte. 201). Follow Rte. 201 and the SUNY signs to the traffic circle. Take first right off circle, crossing bridge to Rte. 434 east. The main entrance to campus is the first right. SRC would like to know what you would like to see at upcoming meetings. Currently, we have tentative meetings planned to discuss impedance control, assembly, and possibly a tour of a local assembly company. Forward ideas to Rick Adams at Lockheed Martin (607-770-2467; [log in to unmask]). Our chapter will be hosting a study group to discuss the requirements and help us prepare for the IPC PWB designers certification exam. We'll meet Monday nights, from 6:30 to 8 p.m., beginning Feb. 8. RPA Electronics Design LLC, 1285 Chenango St., Binghamton. Please reply to Mark Radley (607-771-0393; [log in to unmask]) to confirm your interest and ability to attend and any other comments. If dates/times are a problem please let us know. Sally Meyers from Celestica, president of the Susquehanna chapter and a certified designer, will be on hand at many of our meetings to keep us on the right track in our studies and discussions. This will be a completely informal (but hopefully somewhat organized) discussion on the IPC specifications covered by the exam. You may arrive and leave at your leisure. You will not be graded on your participation. The group is intended to be for your benefit and it will be whatever you make of it! The only materials required will be your minds and possibly a notebook. We should have copies of the specifications to share. SYRACUSE The PCB Design department at Philips Broadband Networks Inc. is interested in forming a local chapter to expand our skills and knowledge. The group is also in the early stages of obtaining IPC designer certification.Contact John Tafe at Philips (315-682-9105 ext. 2470; [log in to unmask]). Caption: SJ: You have the photo Achievers: Newly certified designers from Harris Corp. were honored with a special luncheon. Front row (left to right) Chuck Fisher, James Anderson, Jerry Schwartz. Back row: Mike Holmes, Steve Anderson, Dick Aidt, Tom Obarski. Not pictured: Rob Haskell. Most are members of the Space Coast chapter. Sidebar: Chapter Anniversaries Toronto (1997)