DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Andy Kowalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:16:36 +1000
We have a long history of singulation methods. We make a range of very small
high density modules in assembly arrays on very thin BT substrates, and have
gone through these hoops:

V-cut is cheapest, but accuracy is poor both vertically and horizontally,
components have to be too far from the edge and so waste board real estate,
and the rough edges with fibre protrusion cause problems in handling,
delamination and probably moisture absorption. Boards also have to be
rectangular and that's not always possible.

Routing board edges and leaving mouse bites within the array fix some of
these problems but create others. The main one is the stress caused by
manual breakout. Thin boards can flex and that causes stress on chip
components and their solder joints. In high volume this is also more than a
little tedious and therefore expensive. V-cut singulation within a routed
array has worked but has the same problems as above but to a lesser extent -
you can use a blade with a vertical adge on one side and an angled edge
facing the route cut, so you can get components a little closer to the board
edge, but accuracy and tolerances still cause problems.

We looked at die punch, and that would be a perfect solution for our high
volumes except that BT laminates are brittle and don't punch at all well.
Edges are rough, there were signs of delamination, and the tooling
maintenance is expensive - dies need to be very sharp and glass reinforced
BT is murder on sharp edges, from what we were told.

We also looked at using an IC dicing saw. That would have been a great
solution, as the blade is very thin leaving little waste and the accuracy is
excellent. Unfortunately, it's an expensive machine and our assembly house
wanted us to foot the bill and pay for maintenance. We decided that was a
little risky and chose to forgo that path because alternatives were also
available. It is also restricted to rectangular boards.

Our current method works best. That's a combination of major routing inside
the array during fab, leaving the corners of the board unrouted, and then
singulating at the corners with a router after assembly. That minimises the
amount of routing required post assembly, gives us the accuracy and board
edge finish we want, allows us to have non-rectangular boards, and is an
automatic process suitable for high volumes with the right fixtures and
tooling. Most importantly, it doesn't stress the components and allows me to
have components closer to the board edge, reducing wasted real estate.

That's for what we do. I would imagine bigger, thicker boards with less
density and lower volumes can live with some of the restrictions of V-cut
and mousebites and so would be easier to singulate. Not all assembly houses
have post-assembly routers.

Andy Kowalewski
SyChip Inc

Phone (02) 9456 7984