DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
John Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 06:33:58 -0600
"Wolfe, Robert" wrote:

> Ron,
> It depends on whether in your specific process it would make sense. In my
> opinion vendors would see so many variations
> from different companies that I do not see how it would help them any to
> make it standard, unless it where an industry standard,
> and I don't think we will see that happen. So using your particular software
> do it in the most automated fashion would be my vote and I would think it
> would be the most accurate.
> Executone Inter-Tel Business Information Systems, Inc.
> Robert M. Wolfe C.I.D.
> Lead PCB Designer
> 478 Wheelers Farms Road
> Milford, CT 06460
> Phone: 203-882-6405
> Fax:   203-882-2727

I agree with Robert Wolfe.  We fill our drill table and select our drill
symbols
automatically with one button and even include special tolerances.  We have
25 drill symbols that are automatically read into the database and the software

automatically selects which one to put on which drill size.  In this day of
surface
mount parts, we hardly ever have more than 15 drills.  We don't consolidate
drills either.  Let the board vendor do that if he wants.  Our librarians try
use standard drill sizes but if it is necessary to have an odd size they will
use it.
The only time engineers even look at drill sizes is at the beginning of the
process
when the board profile is checked  by the mechanical engineer against his
model.

My vote is for automating the process as much as possible so that there is less

chance of human error.  If an error is found, it can be fixed once so it doen't

happen again.  To automate the process easily though, some of the old thinking
about drill size consolidation and assigning drill symbols to certain drills
could
make it harder to do.  We dropped those requirements to get the automation
done quickly and with less complexity.

John Bradley
Alcatel USA
Plano, TX