DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Robert Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:24:14 -0400
Juan,
IMHO that would be a major problem for accuracy to have you then move all
of those designators in your "unintelligent" dxf file.
Most PCB CAD systems make it so the Ref Des is really an intelligent item.
That means that whenever you move a Ref Des it automatically highlights the part it is associated with.
This makes it a lot easier to make sure you are moving the right Ref Des close to the right part.
It really is in the PCB Design tool that this should be done, or you are
greatly increasing the chance for error. DXF file is not really the place to have to be moving designators
around on a dense design. It is too easy with dense boards to make a mistake that way.

That is why others have also suggested that the PCB design tool really needs to have a dedicated assembly
layer with the intelligent Ref Des on it and the work of positioning those Ref Des should be the
done in that tool, whoever ends up doing it. The PCB designer doesn't have to be the one do this
or even cleaning up silkscreen positions, but it should be done in the PCB CAD tool.

If that cannot be done then, yes errors can happen easily, and it really creates much more
work in the end, rather than just doing it in the appropriate tool for the job.

Bob