DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Nowak, Ronald" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 11:49:15 +0000
Ron,
You are correct that the aspect ratio would be just a tad over 10:1.
Many PWB shops advertise the ability to drill AND plate vias with aspect ratios well beyond this but it would be a good idea to give your fabricator a call to confirm that he can put enough Cu plating in the via barrel to meet your requirements. The ability to get Cu plating solution through the via becomes more challenging as the via size decreases. The same is true for hole fill.
What IPC class is this being designed to?  This will dictate the signal catch pad size and whether or not you can have via breakout.  Of course larger catch pad diameters may limit your number of lines per channel, so there's always a compromise.
Good luck and good designing,

Ron Nowak
Electronic Packaging Applications
Lockheed Martin MST