DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2013

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Greg Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:20:47 -0700
One more consideration: Any copper exposed on the edge of a PCB will not
have any plating, mask, or other protection to prevent corrosion. If the
board will be used in an environment where it will be exposed to any
sort of corrosive material (even atmospheric moisture) the copper will
corrode. Corrosion on an inner layer could creep inward to affect other
traces etc. This is usually a slow process but it has to be considered
with the desire service life of the board & its end-use environment.

When I was first starting out in PCB design (a while ago) this was the
primary reason given for not running copper to the edge of a board.

Greg Smith