DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:58:56 -0500
We must understand that the pad diameter(s) listed
in IPC are the minimums and are more practical for
Non-soldered pad, such as vias.

Soldered pads follow a different path. For heat
dissipation/absorption a larger pad should be used.

If the component will NOT be replaced and space is
critical try using the hole diameter x 1.5

If the component might be replaced and space is critical
try using hole diameter x 1.75

If the component might be replaced and space is not
critical try using hole diameter x 2

The "might be replaced" is in-between yourself and the
engineer in considerations of board cost vs. component
replacement.

Consider this the "real world" values and considerations.

For current considerations, the remaining pad area
(pad - hole) is equal to, or larger than the trace requirements
for that layer.

For current capacity for the hole itself, find the circumference,
and the hole wall is considerable more than 1oz, (but use 1oz anyway)
and compare it to your trace width requirements.

If you need a calculator for all these functions, try
www.robertsondne.com in the resource are I have a spreadsheet calculator
(soon to be a stand-alone program)

HTH
Chris Robertson