DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"McGlaughlin, Jeffrey A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:15:32 -0500
Jack -

FWIW - I have 2 problems with the freeware layout tools that you
mention.  First, they are captive to the manufacturer providing them so
that once your design is done there is no choice in fabricator. We
require competitive bid on all deliverable PCB so that means we cannot
deliver any thing designed in one of these tools. Second, there is no
easy way to capture the design for documentation.  This is a major issue
for us since we are primarily a research and development facility; our
product is the technical documentation required to put a unit in to
production.

We have on occasion when doing internal research and development work
used ExpressPCB. According to the engineers that have used it, it is the
simplest to learn and has the largest library.

Good luck,

Jeffrey McGlaughlin, CID
Engineering Designer
Battelle