DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Scott Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:24:47 -0400
Another option is to try  something like the Dun & Bradstreet debt
collection service
http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/collect-debt/browse-products.asp . For a fee
they will send letters that threaten to add a "placed for collections" in
the companies D&B credit file.

Most companies (myself included) get a DUNS # at some point and are listed
in their database. You still may not get paid, but at least you feel like
you did something. Most people that go into the design service business,
either full or part time, soon find out that there is a lot more to it than
"just doing the layout". You become the manager, accountant, IT dept, head
of sales and marketing, etc. If your like me accounting is at the bottom of
my list of "things I like to do". I love sending the invoices, but having to
make calls and send emails to try and collect money that they already agreed
to give me is an annoyance I'd like to do without. It also takes away from
the time that I can spend bringing in new revenue.

I do business with several companies that range from one person to Fortune
50 corporations. I have noticed that large companies always pay, but on
their own terms. You can put anything on your quote; NET 30, Due upon
receipt, NET 45, but they will generally come back and dictate the terms and
it is usually something like 3% 15 net 90. The choice to pay in 15 or 90
days is made by someone in accounts payable someplace, not the engineers
that I deal with during the project. I have a new local customer that is a
one man show and he has handed my the last two checks before I sent him an
invoice, so you never know.

International customers (Mexico and China), can also be a challenge. One
large customer in China always pays, but their PO states the terms as NET 45
(I quote NET 30), and for the last two years they average about NET 100 for
actual payment. When the open invoices get up to around 60 days old, I
continue to quote the work, but refuse to start anything until they pay up.
Complaints to the engineers and project managers in the US did nothing,
since they are out of the loop, but once their projects are getting delayed
becomes someone didn't pay the bill they start to escalate things and within
a couple days the payment arrives.  I place a 30% adder on top of the total
design price (at the suggestion of their engineer), just for the
aggravation.

It is, unfortunately, a cost of doing business. For new customers I do not
take on a second project until I have been paid for the first and I always
send the database to the customer. If I get stiffed, it is my time lost. For
the customer that stiffed me, word gets around.  For a "small guy" it is
necessary to take a few risks from time to time, but do some research first
and try to minimize them.

I am very fortunate to say that in almost five years of full time contract
design service I have been paid for every job so far. I am knocking on my
wooden desk as I say that....

Scott D. Riley
Technical Design Service
607-658-9322 - Office