DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2017

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2017 19:23:14 +0000
Hi everyone,

We have a module board that will be mounted to a carrier board by bottom-termination array. The minimum standoff gap between boards is 50um. We have exposed copper on the bottom side of the module, and traces (solder mask covered) on the top side of the carrier, directly below the exposed copper. Per our internal design rules "solder mask should not be relied upon as an electrical insulator."

Considering the 50um gap between exposed copper and solder mask-covered copper, do you think we have a concern? This is very low voltage application.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
Todd

Todd MacFadden
Component Reliability Engineer

BOSE CORPORATION