DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Litson, Cherie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:59:24 -0700
Dee,

Documentation standards have been set mostly by ANSI.  While I'm not aware of any specific industry standards for instrumentation, there are basic drafting standards that will cover most types of documentation.

A good reference to get is "Drafting for Electronics" by Lamit/LLoyd from Prentice Hall.  They updated it not too long ago (200x??? not sure which year.)  It describes many different types of documentation for the many fields of Electronics (i.e.: Packaging; PCB's; Microcircuits; Power Distribution; Robotics; PLC's; Schematic, Wiring, Logic, & Block Diagrams; and Motor Control Circuits.) as well as quick references, terms & tables. (I used this when teaching at ITT a few years back.)

Here's an excerpt from the introduction on Electronic Packaging (instrumentation):
        "The total packaging of an electronic or electrical item includes both the exterior form and the interior parts for securing electronic modules and other parts to the frame and enclosure." ...  "Exterior packaging includes the cabinet and envelope design for all types of electrical, electronic, and computer equipment." ... "Interior packaging includes the mounting plates, panels, brackets, chassis, cage and other parts, and subunits that secure or enclose the actual electronic and electrical modules, assemblies, and subassemblies to the outer holding envelope/cabinet."

The book has some good examples of how to document each type of item.  The order of documentation for a unit is usually from "Exterior" to "Interior".  I've done a lot of instrumentation over the years with many different companies.  Everyone has a little different method of document flow.  However, basic ANSI drafting practices should be adhered to.  If you need any specific assistance, give me a call or email.

Hope this helps,
Cherie Litson, CID+, CII
Sr. PCB Designer
Sonosite, Inc.