DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:48:16 -0500
Lisa,

What will be the value of a Certification to IPC-D-275 after it becomes
obsolete in a few months after the release of the new design specs IPC
is working on?  Does the IPC plan to support IPC-D-275 after the new
spec comes out?  Will it only be supported by ANSI?

You may soon be in a similar situation that we are in with the
IPC-RB-276.  We invested resources into using the IPC-RB-276 (training
documentation, etc.), and alas it becomes obsolete.  We plan on
continuing the use of the 276 regardless, but it becomes tiring when
once a week someone prints out a copy of the IPC web site revision page
which states the document is obsolete, and shows it to me.

Just a thought... Is it possible to use the term "unactive" instead of
obsolete for documents which no longer have committees working on them?

George Franck

On Jan 30, 12:35pm, Lisa Williams wrote:
> [...]
> process flow of designing a board. These topics are:
>   Design Considerations
>   Layout Principles
>   Component and Assembly Issues
>   Printed Board Characteristics
>   Documentation and Dimensioning
> The study guide covers all the objectives for each of the ten sections
of
> the PWB Design Certification exam including electrical considerations,
> material properties, board fabrication, testing technology, and
> reliability issues among others.
>
> The testing portion of the education program has gone through several
> improvements. The IPC Designers Council receives data back on every
test
> taken. A subcommittee of the Designers Council's Education
> Committee has reviewed that data and recommended clarifications on
some
> of the questions and potential answers. The subcommittee also
recommended,
> based on the data received, to remove the requirement to pass all ten
> sections of the test.
>
> Those changes have been implemented and the certification candidate
needs
> to achieve a grade of 73% to pass.
>
> Unfortunately, I believe that the test is currently avaible only in
the
> U.S. We are currently working out an agreement with our test
> administrator, Sylvan, to make it available in other countries.
>
> In addition, significant work has been completed on a CD ROM version
of the
> study guide. There are still a few changes to be made, but we expect
that
> it should be available in February.
>
> The study guide costs $20 for members and $40 for non-members. For
> substantial savings, the study guide can be purchased with other
> preparatory materials and vouchers for the exam.
>
> Study Package B       $175 members  /  $250 non-members
> (includes exam voucher, IPC-D-275, IPC-T-50, and study guide)
>
> Study Package C       $60  members  /  $120 non-members
> (includes IPC-D-275, IPC-T-50, and study guide)
>
> IPC-D-275             $30  members  /  $60  non-members
> IPC-T-50              $30  members  /  $60  non-members
>
> PWB Design Certification Exam  $160 for both members and non-members
> (call 1-800-895-EXAM to schedule an appointment)

> Lisa M. Williams
> Technical Staff
> IPC
> 2215 Sanders Road
> Northbrook, IL 60062
> phone: (847) 509-9700 x 379
> fax:   (847) 509-9798
> email: [log in to unmask]
>

> On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, David Colton-C19424 wrote:
>
> > I'm new to the designers Council.
> >
> > Could you please supply the latest details re designer certification
and the
> > study guide availability in Europe.
> >
> > The link to the study guide details on the designer certification

***
> > * If you are having a problem with the DesignerCouncil, please
contact    *
> > * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
     *

***

text.*

***
> * If you are having a problem with the DesignerCouncil, please contact
   *
> * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
    *

***

--

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems

"The opinions expressed are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the Raytheon Corporation."