DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Lisa Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:33:34 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 10:16:00 CST
From: Thorson, Kevin J @EAG <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'IPC Technical Forum' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Surface Mount Considerations

I am working with a design that requires CTE management for solderjoint
fatigue of a leadless ceramic component, and I am considering random fiber
aramid pwb construction.  The problem I have is that the solder side copper
heat sink modulus is almost 10X that of the pwb and the results of the
composite heat sink assembly is of little benefit of CTE the component sees.

Can anyone recommend a heat sink/pwb adhesive that is forgiving enough to
allow the expansion differences while still having good properties of
shear/peel strength and thermally conductive?

Thank You in Advance,
Kevin Thorson