DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dave Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2016 12:13:00 -0500
Can anyone point me to good technical resources on Using PCB Features for Cooling Purposes.

Some of the items I'm interested in summarizing are:
- Vias .. do filled vias provide better thermal "relief" than standard vias?
- Exposed copper vs copper with soldermask cover .. which is better for thermal "relief"?
- How effective is potting material at providing thermal "relief" and which specific materials are geared towards cooling?
- Is the effectiveness of potting material cooling better if it is applied over bare copper than soldermasked copper?
- How effective are internal copper areas at providing thermal relief?
- How does the thermal conductivity of the PCB features / materials I've listed compare to other cooling methods (standard metal heatsink, "tweak" heatsink, etc.)

Any other tips/resources are greatly appreciated, including information on non-PCB feature "tweak" type solutions to address thermal issues.

Thanks,
Dave