DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Shepard Scott D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 96 12:49:00 PDT

Hi,
My customer is curious as to what would cost more a 4 layer board or a six
layer board. Here are the details:

Board has 1 gnd layer an 1 vcc layer and is primarily surface mount and a
digital circuit without any critical paths. These will remain constant. The
board was autorouted for both a six layer version and a four layer version,
so here is the difference of 2 signal layers or 4 signal layers . The 4
layer was routed to 96% and 2500+ vias and the six layer routed to 100% with
1450+ vias. We all can surmise that the six layer version will be more
reliable in the long run.  I am told that the cost is drilling alone is
about a $100 difference per board. Can any body help with the cost analysis?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Shepard
Interactive Design Solutions
also at [log in to unmask]