DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Gary M. Koven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:08:23 -0500
Bill,

Thanks for your response.  I didn't state the actual issue very well.  So I
shall start with that.

We observed two 0603 resistors cracked on several boards.  The resistors are
placed near a swaged standoff, but not within the 0.75mm per IPC-2221 page
55.  The line voltages and potentials per your response are not remarkable
enough to warrant a greater clearance.  The standoffs in question are garden
variety Keystone 1589-2 #2-56 x 0.156 O.D.  Keystone on its website
specifies a recommended staking tool, TL-19, which consists of a punch and
anvil.  Keystone does not specify a particular tooling clearance or staking
force.

We may need to add a note on the assembly drawing about maximum swaging
force, in order to prevent the installer from damaging components due to
excessive force while swaging.  But in my experience, the caveat when adding
such notes is, first you have to pay someone to set up the secondary op
step, then you have to pay someone else to inspect the first few articles,
then you have to pay for a jig, yada yada.  All these costs get passed on to
the customer, whereby at the end of the day you may have created a cost
increase which could be overkill.

For next build I moved the resistors to the other side of the board, and
further away from the standoff area.  That's fine, but I want to understand
the root cause for future edification.  I would like to understand whether I
had to do this because I violated a rule of thumb, or whether I was
victimized by manufacturing ham-handedness, or a little of both, so I can
build the proper keepouts into the footprints for these swaged standoffs.

I don't know if some of the older specs such as IPC-CM-770 would give me the
rule of thumb that I need, or if I will need to email Keystone specifically.

Thanks,

Gary M. Koven, C.I.D.
Engineering Services Manager
Dynazign, Inc.